Manure and diesel spill
CENTRE WELLINGTON – A portion of Jones Baseline here was closed last week for the cleanup of manure and diesel fuel following a crash.
Emergency crews responded to the scene, near Wellington Road 22, at 10pm on Nov. 24.
“Initial reports indicated that the vehicle had rolled, and that manure and diesel fuel had spilled. No injuries were reported,” states a Wellington County OPP press release.
Police say the Ministry of the Environment was notified.
EDEN MILLS – Police are investigating a reported break-in at a home here on Nov. 21.
Wellington County OPP officials are asking for help in locating a suspect, but they did not provide a time or location for the break-in.
Don’t veer for deer
PERTH COUNTY – Perth County OPP officials say police continue to respond to vehicle collisions involving deer.
“Deer are more active this time of year as this is their mating season, also known as rutting season,” states a press release from the OPP.
Perth County OPP officials are providing the following tips to help reduce the chances of hitting a deer:
- be especially attentive from sunset to midnight and during the hours shortly before and after sunrise (these are the highest risk times);
- drive with caution when moving through areas known to have a large deer population (remember deer seldom run alone);
- when driving at night, use high-beam headlights when there is no oncoming traffic (they better illuminate deer eyes);
- slow down and blow your horn with one long blast to frighten deer away;
- brake firmly when you notice a deer in or near your path but stay in your lane (many serious crashes occur when drivers swerve to avoid a deer);
- always wear your seatbelt;
- do not rely on devices such as deer whistles, deer fences and reflectors to deter deer.
* * *
Anyone with information about any of the above incidents can contact the Wellington County OPP at 1-888-310-1122. To remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit a tip at www.csgw.tips. Tip providers may be eligible for a cash reward.