Peace bond proceedings against Guelph blogger Bill Manderson have been deferred yet again – although not as long as Manderson would have liked.
On Monday, justice of the peace Zeljana Radulovic delayed the matter until April 6 to give Manderson time to review new evidence he received just last week.
“Can I appeal that?” Manderson asked Radulovic. He wanted the matter delayed until April 20, but the justice denied that request and told Manderson it is not the court’s job to provide legal advice.
Manderson explained he was waiting for a response about legal representation from the Canadian Civil Liberties Association.
“I have a compounding situation,” he said, telling Radulovic the disclosure he received on Feb. 27 seemed to identify a third complainant in the case, in addition to county councillor Brad Whitcombe and county Chief Administrative Officer Scott Wilson.
But private prosecutor Steven Tanner, of McCarthy Tetrault, the firm representing Whitcombe and Wilson, said there are still just two complainants.
He added the case has been ongoing since January and delayed twice already and suggested a deferral until April 6 will provide plenty of time for Manderson to prepare.
“It’s of some urgency to my clients,” Tanner said.
Manderson countered that the case was delayed once, through no fault of his own, because the Crown was deciding whether or not to prosecute.
As such, he lobbied – unsuccessfully – to defer the matter until April 20.
The complaints in the peace bond case stem from alleged written threats made by Manderson in over 150 letters to county officials as well as on his website, smelly-welly.com.
If granted, the peace bond will require Manderson to keep the peace for 12 months or face criminal charges.