Four pets die in Arthur apartment fire

Fire started in apartment below Erni's Place restaurant: Loos

ARTHUR – Four pets died but no people were injured in an apartment fire here on Thursday afternoon.

Wellington North Fire Service responded to a structure fire call on Smith Street (Highway 6) on Aug. 31 at about 3:30pm.

The building houses Erni’s Place restaurant on the main floor and apartment buildings in the basement.

“Upon arrival, there was light smoke … coming out of the building,” stated deputy fire chief Callise Loos in a press release.

“Everyone in the building was able to evacuate safely, and there were no reported injuries.

“Unfortunately, two dogs and two cats were lost during the fire due to smoke inhalation.”

A damage estimate and the cause of the fire are not yet available, “but the origin has been isolated to the basement of the building,” Loos added.

She noted about 15 fifteen firefighters from the Arthur and Mount Forest stations responded to the call.

Loos said fire officials are reminding residents “of the importance of knowing where exits are located upon entering stores and restaurants … in the event of a fire.”

About 15 firefighters responded to the call. Submitted photo