Another Erin house fire

Erin firefighters remained busy prior to the holidays, with three house fires within a week.

The last of the trio was reported in the afternoon of Dec. 19 in Cedar Valley.

Firefighters from both the Erin and Hillsburgh stations responded.

“[We] found a fire in a large pantry/old kitchen in the rear of the house,” fire chief Dan Callaghan said in a News release.

“The room was fully involved, [and was] extinguished; no injuries, one pet was in the house on arrival  … but he came out when I opened a door for his escape.”

Callaghan said the investigation revealed that “it appears it may have been a nine volt battery shorting out against metal in a drawer bank in the old kitchen/pantry.”

He estimates the damage at about $50,000. The owner was home at the time and responded to the smoke detector activation and the smell of smoke.

“Erin Fire and Emergency Services encourages all citizens to have working smoke and CO (carbon monoxide)alarms in their house in working condition,” said Callaghan.

“One smoke alarm on every level of the house and one CO alarm on every level where sleeping quarters are provided.”

* * *

Police reported there was yet another house fire in Erin on Dec. 23.

At about 4:43am Wellington County OPP attended a residential fire on the 10th Line in Erin.

Police say a female resident suffered a minor injury while leaving the home and slipping on ice. She was transported to a local hospital by ambulance.  The home sustained damage to living room and the roof.

Town of Erin Fire and Emergency Services were at the scene and controlled the fire. Police say the fire was deemed not suspicious.