Manure cited as cause of grass blaze; department official offer tips to avoid fires

It certainly qualifies as unexpected.

Last week, the Advertiser was notified about a large grass fire on the 6th Line of old West Garafraxa, just north of the Eramosa-Garafraxa townline.

Tom Mulvey of Centre Wellington Fire & Rescue, stated in an email that “The fire was started by some manure heating, believe it or not.”

He added the fire on the 6th Line resulted in approximately five acres of blaze but the firefighters were able to stop its progress before getting to any structures.

Mulvey added, “It is a good idea that people realize the potential dangers of grass or brush fires.”

He said, “Conditions are fairly dry at this time of year regardless of weather conditions and people need to be aware that until the grass is green, it is extremely susceptible to fire.”

Mulvey noted that any open air burning in the township requires the property owner to have a valid permit.

He said Fires need to be attended at all times and there should be some sort of fire extinguishing equipment close at hand.

Mulvey said wind will spread fire quickly so windy days are very bad days to have any size of fire.

“Discarding cigarette butts carelessly can also be very dangerous,” he added.

Fire permits can be purchased on-line at or at the Fergus Fire Hall, 250 Queen St. W., Monday to Friday, for $25.