Improperly-discarded cigarette source of downtown fire

MOUNT FOREST – An improperly-discarded cigarette is being cited as the source of a fire in downtown Mount Forest on June 9.

Wellington North Fire Chief Dave Guilbault told the Advertiser the Sunday evening incident involved fire departments in Wellington North (Mount Forest and Arthur stations), Minto aerial ladder, West Grey aerial ladder and involved about 28 firefighters.

An adult female was rescued from a second storey window while and adult male escaped on his own through a rear door and fire escape.

Both sustained smoke inhalation and were treated on scene by firefighters.

The male also had second degree burns to foot and hand. Both individuals were transported to Louise Marshall Hospital in Mount Forest.

Guilbault placed damage est. $300,000. Two cats were rescued. Firefighters cleared scene at 2:30am on June 10.

The Ontario Fire Marshal Office determined the cause as accidental – an improperly discarded cigarette.