Historical mural installed in Harriston

Some very old photographs grace a new mural on a downtown building here.

The Harriston Kinsmen and the Downtown Revitalization Committee (DRC) sponsored the mural, the DRC coordinated the project and the Harriston Historical Society assisted with the photos and historical information.

The mural, recently installed on the south wall of the Anderson building on Elora Street, consists of two photographs.

One, from the mid-1930s shows five lots known at the time as the Tannery Block on Harriston’s main street. A plaque installed under the mural explains the end building was replaced in 1884 after a fire to the original wooden structure.

“This building was traditionally a dry goods, men’s wear or shoe store … From 1905-1938 William Montgomery owned the building and operated a tailor/men’s wear business. During that time he built a seven-foot extension towards the river.

“From 1938-1964 it was Nelson Harding’s Men’s Wear. From 1964-1982 it was Eric Anderson’s Men’s Wear, from 1982-1992 David Anderson Men’s Wear and Motor Vehicle Licenses. In 1992 the building was divided to become the motor vehicle license office plus Reica (Anderson) Geiger’s Hair Salon.”

The other photo is an early 1900s scene depicting Harriston’s main street as it was in the horse and buggy era.