Heat lamp cause of house fire in Erin

A heat lamp is to blame for a fire at a house in Erin on Feb. 7.

Erin and Hillsburgh fire stations were called to a structure fire on Daniel Street after the homeowner arrived to find the house filled with smoke and smoke alarms going off.

Fire Chief Dan Callaghan said the homeowner was able to remove dogs from inside and call 911.

Callaghan said the Erin fire crew, aided by the Rockwood station, discovered a fire between the floor joints of the first and second floor.

Callaghan said the cause was “a heat lamp for a dragon lizard aquarium that appears to have been knocked to the floor by the dogs.”

The fire was extinguished  with the damage estimated at around $20,000.

Callaghan said the dogs were taken to a local vet and examined for smoke inhalation.