Ribfest, an event that has become a Riverside Park summer tradition, is the primary fundraiser for the Rotary Club of Guelph – Trillium.
The club recently held a special meeting where it awarded funds to local community groups from money raised at Ribfest. Of the 46 organizations that applied, funding was given to 15. Each organization received approximately $1,000.
Those organizations were :
– The Alzheimer’s Society of Guelph-Wellington;
– Beginnings Pregnancy Care Centre of Guelph, for teaching practical skills and support to teen-aged mothers (as young as 13);
– Church of St. James the Apostle, for replacing some old furniture, especially old chairs;
– Canadian Diabetes Association, to help with their summer camp for diabetic kids;
– The Children’s Foundation of Guelph Wellington, for over 40% of families with kids in school in this area have been affected by the downturn if the economy. The money will go to help kids who have been most affected;
– Chalmers Community Services Centre, for providing food and clothing to people living on the margin;
– Dunara Homes, to help four to five people with severe mental illness go to camp;
– Edward Johnson Music Foundation, for bringing musicians to schools where kids are not always able to make it to special events outside of the school;
– Guelph Independent Living, to the playground area. Guelph Independent Living has 83 units, 55 of which are subsidized and 21 are for people with disabilities and need supported living;
– Immigrant Services of Guelph Wellington, for programs for help new immigrants in the Guelph area;
– Michael House Pregnancy Care Centre, for programs to help young mothers who need a temporary residence;
– Rainbow Day Camp, to help bring camp to kids who may not be able to make it to camp;
– Sunrise Therapeutic riding and Learning Centre;
– Tytler Public School, for a new five day program of African music where kids will learn to make drums, and do a presentation to their parents; and
– Wyndham House received $900 in Zehrs gift cards for its after care program to help kids go into independent living.