Skip to main content
Law firm hired following Mapleton crash that killed five siblings
Flowers laid in remembrance of the five Doerksen children who died following a June 12 two-vehicle collision at the intersection of 4th Line and Wellington Road 12 in Mapleton. Advertiser file photo

Law firm hired following Mapleton crash that killed five siblings

Windsor-based law firm retained to investigate June crash that claimed six lives as police investigation continues

Jordan Snobelen profile image
by Jordan Snobelen

MAPLETON – The Doerksen and Bartsch families have hired a law firm to help determine what happened in a Mapleton crash that claimed the lives of five siblings last month.

“Losing a single child is every parent’s worst nightmare — to lose five in one instant is a tragedy beyond words,” stated lead counsel Joanna Sweet in a July 23 news release.

Sweet is managing partner at Windsor-based Greg Monforton and Partners, a personal injury firm. She said the firm represents both families and the survivors need answers.

“We are committed to determining exactly how this horrific crash happened,” Sweet stated.

On the evening of June 12, an SUV and a van carrying 10 people from Atwood collided at 4th Line and Wellington Road 12, about five kilometres east of Conestogo Lake, in Mapleton.

Five children dead, six others seriously injured in Mapleton crash
Two in critical condition, infant hospitalized after two-vehicle collision near Conestogo Lake

Five children from the Doerksen family — Susy, Maggie, Sara, Helena and Peter — were in the passenger van with five other occupants.

The children were identified in obituaries, and ranged in age from four to 12.

Four of the children were declared dead at the scene, and another later in hospital. A funeral for the children took place in Wallenstein on June 20.

Also in the van were a younger sibling, the Doerksen parents — Cornelius Doerksen Froese and Judit Doerksen — and Peter and Elizabeth Bartsch. All were taken to hospital with injuries.

On June 20, police announced the sole occupant of the SUV — a 42-year-old Brampton man — had died of injuries from the crash, bringing the death toll to six. Police have not named the man.

OPP West Region media coordinator Ed Sanchuk confirmed in an email the police investigation “remains ongoing.”

Though no charges have been laid and no one has been found at fault, Sweet told the Advertiser the firm is collecting information toward a potential lawsuit against the SUV driver's estate.

“We're hoping to gather whatever information people might have about anything that would be relevant to the events that took place that night,” Sweet said by phone.

“If we can get information quickly, that could be of assistance at early stages in litigation.”

Death toll rises to six in Mapleton crash after SUV driver dies
Unnamed 42-year-old Brampton man died in hospital on June 19

Based on what little information the firm has, Sweet suggested the van was travelling through the intersection with the right-of-way when the SUV ran a stop sign, striking the back of the van where the five children were seated.

“Typically the family won’t get full access to information until the police investigation is complete,” Sweet said, adding the law firm isn’t trying to diverge from the official investigation.

“The [families] would like to know as much as they can, as quickly as they can.”

Family members have been reluctant to speak with reporters. But in a July 1 update on the Doerksens' GoFundMe page, daughter Nancy Doerksen wrote that Judit and Elizabeth were out of hospital and “in the healing process” at home.

An earlier June 15 update said Judit was awaiting hip surgery and Cornelius was recovering from injuries.

A separate GoFundMe campaign for the Bartschs, no longer available online as of July 23, had said Elizabeth was in critical condition, with her husband by her side.

“We are very thankful with how far they have come,” the July 1 update to the Doerksens' fundraiser said, thanking the community for its prayers.

Anyone who may have witnessed the crash or has information that may assist police can call 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Jordan Snobelen profile image
by Jordan Snobelen

Get Local News Delivered

Join our community of readers and get weekly updates on what matters most in Wellington County.

Success! Now Check Your Email

To complete Subscribe, click the confirmation link in your inbox. If it doesn’t arrive within 3 minutes, check your spam folder.

Ok, Thanks

Read More