CENTRE WELLINGTON – Local firefighters had a busy Thanksgiving weekend.
On Oct. 13 Centre Wellington Fire Rescue Services was called to the Caressant Care Fergus Nursing Home.
Some drapes close to electrical baseboards overheated, setting off the smoke alarm, Fire Chief Brad Patton explained to the Advertiser on Oct. 15.
The east wing was evacuated and Patton estimated there were between 20 and 30 residents.
“They’re required to practice that and staff did a great job moving everybody and getting them into a safe area,” Patton said.
The fire department removed the drapes, reset the alarm, and residents were permitted back into their rooms.
The incident is still under investigation by Centre Wellington Fire Rescue Services.
The next call was for the Elora station at the Elora Mill. At about 5:45pm on Oct. 14, firefighters were called to the Elora Mill for a dumpster fire.
“We’re not really sure exactly what happened, but somehow the dumpster caught on fire,” Patton said. “It’s still being investigated at this time.”
Firefighters extinguished the blaze within an hour.
On the same day the Fergus station responded to a call for a combine fire on the 7th Line in Belwood at about 6:45pm.
Patton said a number of agricultural tractors were working in the field when the combine caught fire.
“We had 15 firefighters respond,” he said.
“The combine was on fire on our arrival; took us about seven minutes to put it out and approximately $8,000 loss.”
The driver made it out safely and there were no other injuries.
Patton said he did not know if the combine would be fixed or replaced.
He advised that keeping combines clean at all times and in good mechanical order can help prevent fires.