Unattended candle causes house fire, $150,000 in damage

ERIN – Volunteer firefighters from the town’s stations in Erin and Hillsburgh attended a house fire last weekend on Main Street in the village of Erin.

Smoke came from the sides of an evacuated single-storey home as fire crews arrived after 2:25pm on May 18.

Efforts had been made to extinguish the fire before crews arrived, and though unsuccessful, it made for quick work for firefighters.

Less than 30 litres, or a few short blasts from a fire hose, and the fire was out, Fire Chief Jim Sawkins told the Advertiser.

According to a town press release, the fire started in a rear bedroom from an “unattended candle.”

The fire was under control just 13 minutes after the 911 call came in and no one was injured.

Police and paramedics were also on scene, in addition to six trucks and 21 firefighters.

According to Sawkins, damage within the home is valued at $150,000 – largely from smoke and the need to replace drywall.