CAMPBELLVILLE – In 1869 a branch of the Nassagaweya Presbyterian Church was granted permission by the Presbytery to organize a separate congregation in the growing community of Campbellville.
Earlier a frame church had been built on the south side of the pond (now MacLaren Road) but despite this addition this site was quickly outgrown.
A new site to the north was donated by local farmer and businessman David Wheelian.
In appreciation and gratitude, the new church was names “St. David’s Presbyterian).
A new church was built in just seven months, using stones from area farms and bricks from the Terra Cott Brick Company of Campbellville.
The first service was held in November 1891. The present building has changed little over the years with the exception of an addition to the rear, lighting and heating.
This November will mark the 150th anniversary of the church.
A celebratory turkey dinner will be held on Nov. 2 at 5pm.
Advance tickets are $30 and are available atr 905-854-9800.
An anniversary service will be held on Nov. 3 at 10am with Reverend Jacque Foxall from Knox Oakvill as guest minister.
Knox Oakville will provide music for the service. Refreshments follow.
All are invited to this event celebrating the history of St. David’s, especially former members and friends .
Submitted by Corrine Colling, St. David’s Presbyterian Church