Mount Forest”™s electricity capacity increased to meet high demands

On Dec. 23, the new power line supplying electricity to Mount Forest was officially turned on, following several months of pole-line construction in the town and along Highway 6.

The collaboration between Wellington North Power (WNP) and Hydro One networks is in response to an electricity capacity issue facing Mount Forest.

This project was also supported by the Township of Wellington North, which owns 97 per cent of Wellington North Power (neighbouring Southgate Township owns the remaining 3%).  

In December of 2015 Wellington North council approved the WNP recommendation to borrow up to $1.5 million from Infrastructure Ontario to finance the construction of the second power line to Mount Forest.

The concern of available electricity capacity in Mount Forest was raised by local businesses through the Business Retention and Expansion interview process, as well as at the Municipal Developer’s Forum hosted by Wellington North last March.

“Growth projections show that Wellington North is second only to Centre Wellington for the largest growth in Wellington County over the next 25 years,” said Mayor Andy Lennox.

“This poses us with both opportunities and challenges. Securing the new second-line feeder overcomes the potential electricity capacity barrier for future growth.”

Jim Klujber, chief operating officer for Wellington North Power, said, “This is a great achievement for the utility, the township and our community. This second feeder increases our electricity capacity servicing Mount Forest and prepares us for future growth and economic development in the area.

“We completed this construction project on time and within budget.”