WELLINGTON COUNTY – Wellington County OPP is reminding residents to do everything they can to avoid becoming a victim of fraud after responding to numerous calls recently.
Police offer the following tips to help avoid becoming a victim:
– create strong passwords for each of your accounts;
– set up multi-factor authentication to make it more difficult for someone else to access your accounts;
– update privacy settings on social network accounts;
– be familiar with terms of service and how payment methods work. Look for a fraud protection policy;
– never, under any circumstances, accept money and send money to a third party;
– remain current on frauds and protect others by sharing what you know;
– do not trust the information on your call display because it can easily be manipulated;
– do not provide your personal or financial information;
– do not open an attachment or click a link in an unsolicited email or text message; and
– learn more tips and tricks for protecting yourself.
If you or someone you know is a victim of fraud, contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or report online at antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca.