PUSLINCH – A trailer storage unit was destroyed and a nearby vehicle damaged in a fire here on May 28.
Puslinch Fire and Rescue Services responded to a structure fire call on Highway 6 south of Fielding Lane at about 3:30pm.
The homeowner placed the call and about 12 firefighters arrived on scene.
Chief fire prevention officer Brent Smith said firefighters did a good job reducing damage and preventing the fire from spreading to surrounding structures.
Smith said the fire was the result of an improper use of a construction heater.
He explained the heater is made for construction sites and has to be away from combustibles – plus, it shouldn’t have been used in a confined space.
The homeowner had turned the heater on in his shop before going to work in it. He said the heater was on for about 15 minutes before he went out and discovered a fire had started.
No one was injured in the fire and damage was contained to the contents of the storage unit and a nearby vehicle.
Smith said firefighters explained there was some magnesium inside the unit from some of the metal parts of the equipment, making the fire difficult to put out.
He estimates the damages to be $15,000 for the storage unit and equipment and $10,000 for the vehicle.