SIU terminates investigation into ‘interaction’ between police, man charged in domestic incident

ERIN – The province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has terminated its investigation of an “interaction” last year between police and an Erin man involved in a domestic dispute that injured the man’s daughter.

Director Tony Loparco, who made the announcement on Feb. 11, noted the SIU started its investigation on Oct. 26, seven months following the incident.

On March 24, 2018, at about 8pm, Wellington County OPP officers were called to a home on Mountainview Crescent in Erin.

Police say the suspect, a 58-year-old man, allegedly threatened family members and discharged a firearm.

“A 16-year-old female sustained minor injuries after being struck by a bullet ricochet,” police stated in a press release at the time, adding the suspect fled prior to police arrival.

According to the SIU, OPP officers located “a vehicle of interest” on 10th Line, and attempted to stop the driver. 

“The driver fled and the police followed. A short time later, the driver pulled his vehicle over, and when he exited, he became involved in an interaction with police,” states the SIU press release.

“The man was subsequently arrested and taken to hospital for assessment.”

The suspect was charged with using a firearm while committing an offence, careless use of firearm, careless storage of a firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, impaired driving, assault with a weapon, discharging a firearm with intent, uttering threats and two counts of pointing a firearm.

In court two days following the incident, the suspect appeared to have facial injuries, but he did not cooperate with the SIU investigation.

“SIU investigators made multiple attempts to conduct an interview with the man via telephone and in person over a period of approximately three months,” stated Loparco. “As the man failed to provide the SIU with a statement or otherwise participate in an investigation, and because consent to obtain medical records was not authorized by the man, I have terminated the investigation into this incident.”