Memories of North Wellington – 02/12/20

52 years ago,

Harriston Review, 1968

Mr. Charles F. Harris will celebrate his 90th birthday on March 17. Born in Devonshire, England, he came to Canada 70 years ago. In 1910 he bought the residence he is living in now on John Street.

Harriston firemen  were called out on March 11 to the house of Graham Murray in Palmerston. They used an  extinguisher to put out  the  fire  in  the over-heated stove pipes. No serious damage resulted.

Neil Aitchison, former Norwell  student, was elected on March 8 to the post of president of the Student’s Council at Conestoga College. Neil, a first year student in com-munication arts, waged a successful campaign over four other students for the post. No doubt it was his experience as a columnist with the Harriston Review that helped him in his election.

Donald Walker of Palmerston, winner of the Lions District Speaking Contest, was guest speaker at the regular Lions Club Meeting held March 8 in the Coronation Hotel. Walker’s topic was “Responsibility of Citizenship.” He will compete March 15 in the regional contest to be held in Alliston. Walker was introduced by Lion John Euesden.

69 years ago,

Drayton Advocate, 1951

For many years one of this community’s leading citizens, Mr. Thomas Slimmon passed away last Thursday, March 1, 1951, at the home of his daughter. He had been in failing health for two years.

Mr. and Mrs. Sutherland Ternan of the Burwell Line recently celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. For many years Mr. Ternan was road superintendant of Peel Twp. Mr. and Mrs. Ternan were honoured by the Loyal Orange Benevolent Association of Arthur, where they were guests of honour at a social evening.

115 years ago,

Arthur Enterprise, 1905

The inquest into the death of Alexander Robinson was not concluded until after midnight yesterday, March 8. The inquiry resumed at 10am. The greater part of the morning was occupied hearing the evidence of J. Robinson, brother of the deceased, and Wesley Montgomery, who was once more, put on the stand. Nothing new was obtained from either of them. Drs. A J. Hunter and T H. Henry, who took part in the post-mortem, were examined. Their evidence established that the condition of the lungs was enough to cause death, but the wounds on the body and exposure had an important contributory effect. The inquest was resumed at night, when Robert Wright, a young man who boards at Wesley Mongomery’s, was examined. His evidence related mainly to Mongomery’s movements on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, prior to Robinson’s death. Wright was the last witness called. The Jury were then addressed by Mr. C. R. Mckeown for the Montgomerys, W. D Henry for the Robinson family, County Crown Attorney Mckay and the Coroner. The jurors retired at about 10:30pm, and a little after midnight returned a verdict that death had been caused by acute pneumonia, aggravated by injuries and exposure. The finding further stated the assaults proven against Tiny and Wesely Montgomery were in no way contributory to Robinson’s death. The verdict has the effect of completely exonerating the Montgomerys and Wm. Harrison from all suspicions of being in any way connected with the sudden demise of the unfortunate man. The inquiry has lasted the greater part of five days, and in account of the ugly reports in circulation and the standing of the parties in the community, has aroused widespread interest.