It’s almost tax time and the Canada Revenue Agency can help

OTTAWA – The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is encouraging people to file their tax returns digitally. To do that, you must register for My Account.

To register for My Account, go to and select “CRA register.”

You will need to provide:

– your social insurance number;

– your date of birth;

– your current postal or zip code; and

– an amount you entered on your income tax and benefit return (the amount requested changes, and it could be from the current tax year or the previous one).

If you previously registered for My Account to apply for COVID-19 benefits, you are encouraged to enter the security code you received in the mail to access all of My Account’s features.

The CRA encourages Canadians to register for direct deposit to reduce any delays in receiving your refund, or benefit or credit payments due to COVID-19. You can register for direct deposit through many financial institutions or by calling the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

Tax slips for the filing year are prepared by your employer or from other payers, such as your pension providers or financial institutions. If you’ve lost a slip or haven’t received one, ask your employer/payer for it.

COVID-19 benefits recipients, will receive a T4A or a T4E in the mail.

Call the Tax Information Phone Service at 1–800-267-6999.

Source: CRA