No one was injured and damage was minimized thanks to quick response from local firefighters to a house fire here on May 29.
Around 5:20am, firefighters were responding to another call and were re-routed to a fire at the corner of Queen Street North and Maitland Street.
“This made the response time very quick,” stated Minto Fire Chief Chris Harrow in an email. “The fire started on the second floor and was knocked down quickly by our crews. They stopped the fire from progressing too far outside of the room of origin,” Harrow stated.
The homeowner was home at the time but managed to escape uninjured and call 911 from a neighbour’s house.
“The house fire today showed the importance of working smoke alarms. A person never knows when a fire will strike,” Harrow stated.
All Minto stations, Harriston, Palmerston and Clifford, responded to the incident with the last crew leaving the scene at around 8:30am.
A damage estimate is still undetermined, as is the cause of the fire. However, Harrow noted it is not considered suspicious.
“Great, quick work by the crews limited the damage.”
In total Minto fire crews ran 10 calls between 2:20am and noon on Friday. Many of the calls were due to power fluctuations from a lengthy power outage setting off carbon monoxide and smoke alarms, said Harrow. “Although it was a lot of calls, it showed us the large number of people that have them installed properly and listen to the alerts. Great work by our community to have these life saving devices installed and working,” he said.