ELORA – Elora and Fergus firefighters were called to a chimney fire around noon on Jan. 4 on 1st Line, Elora, but thankfully, the fire was contained and quickly extinguished.
Deputy chief Jonathan Karn said both detachments responded and the Fergus crew was cancelled as the fire turned out to be minor.
Karn said the homeowners were home at the time and there was no damage to the home or injury to any people on the scene.
“It probably looked worse than it was,” Karn said. “The chimney needed cleaning and the homeowner has said they will take care of it.”
Karn said over time, creosote can build up in a chimney and it’s important to have chimneys cleaned annually.
“We don’t always think about it but we should,” he said.