Caressant Care in Fergus remains closed to new residents due to substandard care after the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care issued a “cease admissions” order to the nursing home on Oct. 3.
“We are continuing to work closely with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care on the issues they brought up last year and we are confident the home will soon be open to new admissions,” said Caressant Care spokesperson Lee Griffi in an email on March 21.
In October ministry inspections director Karen Simpson told officials with the Waterloo Wellington Local Health Integration Network the order to “cease admissions” was issued to the Fergus facility “based on my belief that there is a risk of harm to the health or well-being of residents.”
Former Minister of Health and Long-Term Care Dr. Eric Hoskins stated the Fergus facility “is in repeated noncompliance with requirements to keep the home, furnishings and equipment clean, and in a good state of repair.
“In addition, there has been repeated non-compliance with the duty to ensure that residents are not neglected by the licensee or staff.”
The ministry’s public reporting website includes 12 inspection reports at the Fergus home since the beginning of 2017.
Last year’s inspections found 59 violations, including 14 during the home’s Sept. 13 inspection.
Violations included several examples of resident neglect (such as failing to meet dietary needs and failing to immediately report allegations of abuse) and unclean conditions (ranging from dirty floors and furniture and stained privacy curtains to cigarette butts on the hallway floor and “lingering, offensive odours” in rooms).
The Fergus home also failed to comply with ministry orders related to managing residents with “responsive behaviours” and to the prevention of falls.
In October Griffi said the order from the ministry does not affect current residents at the Fergus facility.