Skip to main content

Private lawyer will prosecute peace bond case against blogger

Chris Daponte profile image
by Chris Daponte

Peace bond proceedings against Guelph blogger Bill Manderson will resume on March 2 with a private prosecutor.

“The Crown will not intervene in this matter,”  assistant Crown attorney Stephanie Turner said on Monday.

The matter was previously delayed because it was unclear who would prosecute the case.

Wellington County councillor Brad Whitcombe and county Chief Administrative Officer Scott Wilson have sought a peace bond against Manderson, a 73-year-old retired engineer and self-professed journalist and county watchdog.

If granted, the peace bond will require Man­derson to keep the peace for 12 months or face criminal charges. The complaints stem from alleged written threats made by Manderson in over 150 letters to county officials as well as on his website, smelly-welly.com.

Lawyer Chris Wayland, who represents Whitcombe and Wilson, asked that a hearing be set for Feb. 23 to give Man­derson time to find a lawyer.

Wayland told justice of the peace Terry Steenson he intends to call three witnesses, and Manderson said he, too, will call individuals to the stand.

“Absolutely. My reputation is on the line here, sir, and I reserve the right to come to court and face my accusers,” Manderson said.

Steenson told both parties Feb. 23 will likely be a very busy day for the court, and suggested March 2 for a hearing date. Manderson asked for  more time, suggesting March 27 instead.

But Steenson said peace bond cases are “summary matters,” and thus should proceed quickly. March 2 should give Manderson plenty of time to review the court documents and get legal counsel, Steen­son added.

Manderson again objected to the date, calling it an attempt to “rush the judgment.”

He also referred to a $2.4-million libel lawsuit filed by Whitcombe and Wilson - and called the whole situation “a good lawyer’s game of pitting one court against the other.”

Steenson warned Manderson about making inflammatory statements that would jeopardize his case.

“This isn’t a hearing,” the justice of the peace said after Manderson asked to read a statement before the court. “I’ve made my decision.”

The peace bond case resumes March 2 at 11:30am.

Chris Daponte profile image
by Chris Daponte

Get Local News Delivered

Join our community of readers and get weekly updates on what matters most in Wellington County.

Success! Now Check Your Email

To complete Subscribe, click the confirmation link in your inbox. If it doesn’t arrive within 3 minutes, check your spam folder.

Ok, Thanks

Read More