NORTH WELLINGTON – Wellington County’s interim yard waste collection program begins on Monday in Mapleton, Minto and Wellington North.
Collection will begin May 11 in urban areas and residents are asked to have all leaf and yard waste at the curb by 7am.
County officials stress that Arthur and Mount Forest are excluded from the service, as these areas will receive collection by Wellington North Township. More information for Arthur and Mount Forest residents can be found here.
Officials have issued the following participation guidelines:
- leaves and yard waste must be placed in Kraft paper yard waste bags, or suitable re-usable containers clearly identified as yard waste;
- each bag, reusable container or bundle must not exceed 18.2kg (40 pounds);
- small sticks must be bundled and be no longer than 90cm (three feet) in length (large branches, trunks and stumps will not be collected);
- materials placed out loose or in plastic bags will not be collected; and
- materials must be placed at the curb by 7am on the Monday of your scheduled collection week. It may take a few days to collect each area; however, collection crews will not be re-visiting any streets.
On April 14 the solid waste services committee (SWSC) approved an interim measure to facilitate curbside collection of leaf and yard waste in 56 designated urban areas (those that currently receive weekly curbside collection services), with the collected material being disposed of at a composting facility in Arthur.
While the county has contracted seasonal leaf and yard waste collection for the designated areas, that program does not start until the fall.
Residents in rural areas are asked to compost their material or store it on their property until waste facilities are re-opened. Alternatively, they could contact private service providers for assistance, officials say.
More details on the interim yard waste collection program can be found at www.wellington.ca/yardwaste.