FERGUS – The opening of a mass vaccination centre at the Centre Wellington Community Sportsplex here will alter reopening plans for that facility as well as others in the township.
The vaccination centre will operate from Pad B in the sportsplex and because of this added capacity in the building, other recreation programs may be even more limited.
For example, community halls, meeting rooms, the fitness centre and weight room at the sportsplex will not reopen while the vaccination clinic is in operation, and all recreation programs will move to the Elora Community Centre.
The township has announced that with the province’s red-control designation, it will begin to re-open recreational facilities with the following restrictions:
- ice rentals for minor sports groups and regular contract ice users can resume. Staff will not book any private rentals until existing bookings are confirmed;
- ice will operate at the Fergus sportsplex in Pad A only and at the Elora Community Centre;
- the aquatic centre at the Fergus sportsplex will remain closed until mid to late March due to ongoing maintenance;
- fitness classes will begin Feb. 22 at the Elora Community Centre;
- pickleball will resume at the Elora Community Centre, date to be determined;
- the Victoria Park Seniors Centre will remain closed for in-person services, however senior fitness programming will resume at the Elora Community Centre on Feb. 23;
- online seminars, virtual games and social programs for seniors continue on Zoom. For more information, visit www.centrewellington.ca/seniorscentre;
- the Elora Tourism Information Centre will remain closed, although washrooms will be open for the public; and
- outdoor ice rinks will continue to operate for the community (for a list of rinks and safety measures visit www.centrewellington.ca/outdoorrinks).
Participants in any township programs must observe all provincial health and safety protocols.
Registration for all programs is required, even for programs that are free. Township officials urge people to register early as programs have limited capacity. Only people registered for a program can enter a facility.
To pre-register for a program, visit www.centrewellington.ca. Questions can be directed to 519-846-9691 ext. 903 or email@example.com.