WELLINGTON COUNTY – The Northern Wellington Economic Development Partnership (NWEDP) has launched a new Northern Wellington Jobs and Housing Portal, nwjobsandhousing.ca.
For five years the Town of Minto and the Township of Wellington North have each had their own jobs and housing sites.
In 2020, as the municipalities looked for ways to find efficiencies, combining these portals and welcoming the Township of Mapleton as part of the partnership was identified as an opportunity, states a press release from the partnership.
“By working together, we can save money and resources, as well as pool funds to better support the portal with advertising dollars” said Mapleton economic development and marketing coordinator Aly Cripps.
Minto business and economic manager Belinda Wick-Graham added, “Despite the pandemic our employers continue to highlight the challenge of finding employees.
“The portal provides a great resource for our employers to highlight their opportunities to a larger audience.”
The release states the partnership worked with local website developer OSIM to offer a multi-faceted portal that provides:
- a one-stop location for seekers to find job listings located in Mapleton, Minto and Wellington North;
- resources tab that will direct job seekers to the supports in the area that will provide guidance and resources when applying for a job;
- an interactive map displaying home, commercial and job listings;
- an equal playing field for large, small and private businesses, as well as realtors and those with private rental listings; and
- mobile-friendly options allowing job and housing searches on mobile phones, tablets or desktop computers.
“The reality of doing business in a rural economy is that to fill job openings there must also be homes for sale or rental properties available to accommodate these new members of the community and their families” said Wellington North economic development officer Dale Small.
“This website makes what was previously a time consuming search much easier.”
Officials say the website’s map and directions functions make it easy to see where a job is and how close available accommodations are to that job.
For the local businesses, private property owners and realtors themselves, adding their own job openings and properties to the website and map is quick and simple with no programming knowledge required, officials added.
To visit the Northern Wellington Jobs and Housing Portal go to www.nwjobsandhousing.ca.