MINTO – Members of the Minto Youth Action Council (MYAC) updated town council on the organization’s activities over the past year at the April 16 meeting.
In 2018, MYAC:
– hosted a Prom and Grad Pop Up Shoppe and its second annual Amazing Race scavenger hunt event;
– sponsored a bursary for students at Norwell District Secondary School;
– helped with the Northern Wellington Youth Connections event;
– arranged to provide youth study spaces during exams;
– donated to Norwell “Zen Den” for student wellness and Big Brother Big Sisters Wellington; and
– brought in youth engagement specialist Jason Cranny to talk about working with youth at the Town of Minto volunteer dinner.
Members also noted the Town of Minto received a Gold Status Youth Friendly Community designation from the province.
“Minto became a gold status youth friendly community. So that is fantastic, and that is for all of Ontario,” said MYAC member Caitlyn Aasman.
During 2018 the group also:
– worked with Minto’s trails committee and created a trail scavenger hunt;
– met with Perth East and Centre Wellington representatives interested in starting youth action councils; and
– met with Mayor George Bridge to talk about issues facing youth in Minto.
MYAC member D. J. Campbell noted the council continues to work on createing youth space at LaunchIt Minto and that youth representatives now sit on the Minto Arts Council, Minto Chamber of Commerce and Cultural Roundtable.
In 2019 MYAC is planning to once again host outdoor movies in Harriston, Palmerston and Clifford. Donations will be accepted at the events with proceeds to Minto Mental Health.
The group also plans to host a road hockey tournament in conjunction with Norwell and also a Halloween event, resumé workshops and a board game night.
The group urged council to consider installing a basketball court in Harriston and offered to be involved in strategic planning on youth issues.
Acting CAO Chris Harrow advised council the MYAC recommendation for a basketball court will be considered through the town’s strategic planning process.