FERGUS – In place of its regular fundraising ball hockey tournament, The McGinn Brothers Big Game will host “The Big Assist” on Aug. 21.
The all-day radiothon and associated community events will aim to raise $50,000 in support of 10 charities in Centre Wellington.
“We love our community, and with everything that is going on, we just felt we should try and do something to keep the kids busy and help all these community groups that will have a tough year raising money,” stated Jamie McGinn.
“We have numerous community groups that have stepped up, as well as many of our local sponsors, who were willing to help us try something new so we are going to give it a shot”.
The Grand 101.1 FM radiothon, which will take place from 8am to 5pm at the Ecclestone Financial Group building in Fergus, will benefit the following charities:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Centre Wellington;
- Canadian Mental Health Association Waterloo Wellington;
- Centre Wellington Food Bank;
- Community Resource Centre of North and Centre Wellington;
- Elora Legion;
- Fergus Legion;
- Kids Ability;
- Fergus Lions Club;
- Rotary Club of Fergus-Elora; and
- Guelph Wellington Women in Crisis.
Resident, businesses and organizations looking to contribute can do so via a Go Fund Me page set up to collect online donations.
Officials say the day will kick off with a big donation from regular sponsor RBC and throughout the day on-air personalities will host interviews with current NHL players, celebrity guests and, of course, Jamie, Brock and Tye McGinn.
“For the organizing committee it was about keeping this going. How do we do something impactful that helps out as many people as possible and keep the children engaged with hockey?” stated Abbey Faris, coordinator of the event.
“The McGinn Brothers Big Game has become a community favourite, and I think we owe it to our sponsors and participants that supported us from day one to get innovative and put something positive on the calendar for 2020.
“It has been a tough year for businesses and families so now’s the time to offer a day of shopping local, promoting local business and helping out 10 local groups.”
Officials say another big part of the fundraiser will be a private meet-and-greet with fan favourite NHL superstar and Stanley Cup Champion Ryan O’Reilly.
Officials say O’Reilly will visit up to 10 people for two hours at a home/business anywhere in North America.
“This item is being sold on the McGinn Brothers Big Game website and has already had many inquiries locally and from fans in St. Louis, MO,” organizers say.
Other community events planned alongside the radiothon include:
- the Ron Wilkins Jewellers Big Game online – local youths of all ages can register in teams of three to compete in an NHL 20 video game tournament. Kids’ teams will be paired up with local business sponsors and the winning team will get to play in an online winner-take-all contest versus a few surprise NHL players. Teams can enter by contacting Jackie Ranahan at Jackie@CWballhockey.com;
- local businesses will offer sales and other initiatives to generate sales on Aug. 21 to contribute to the fundraising total (open to all businesses in Centre Wellington, email TheBigHockeyGame@gmail.com);
- the Fergus Optimist Club, in partnership with the Fergus Legion, will host a bottle drive at the Legion on Aug. 21;
- hand sanitizer sales at Ecclestone Financial Group on – or in advance of – Aug. 21 (contact email@example.com);
- Zehrs in Fergus will be accepting donations at checkouts on Aug. 21;
- an online auction for local businesses with local companies donating services (hosted by Parr Auctions Online); and
- a special announcement from Riverfest Elora about the 2021 lineup will be made live on Aug. 21.
Anyone interested in getting involved can email TheBigHockeyGame@gmail.com.
For more information visit www.TheMcGinnBrothersBigGame.com and for updates visit https://www.facebook.com/TheMcginnBrosBigGame.