Fire destroys home in Wellington North

WELLINGTON NORTH – A local couple lost their home to fire on Feb. 15.

Wellington North Fire Chief Chris Harrow said firefighters were called to a structure fire on Wellington Road 14 south of Arthur in the Gordonville area at around 6pm.

“On our arrival, the fire was already coming out the second storey windows and not long after that, the roof collapsed,” Harrow stated in an email.

“We took a defensive position and applied water from the outside of the structure.”

Harrow said the occupants of the house had gotten out of the building before fire crews arrived.

Describing the house “a total loss” Harrow estimated damage at $500,000 minimum.

Firefighters remained on scene overnight watching for hot spots.

“Crews did a great job battling this fire in very cold temperatures and snow squalls.  Happy to report through all that, there were no injuries to occupants or firefighters,” Harrow stated.

The fire cause is considered to be accidental and Harrow said it appears to have started in the area around a wood stove.

Firefighters from Grand Valley, Dundalk and Minto assisted on the call.

North Wellington Community News