FERGUS – The annual Fergus Lions Home and Leisure Show has been cancelled for the second consecutive year due to COVID-19.
“After considerable discussion it has been decided to again postpone our annual Fergus Lions Home and Leisure Show until 2022,” club officials noted in a Jan. 18 press release.
The next show will be held May 4 to 6, 2022.
The annual Home and Leisure Show is a major fundraiser for the club and its cancellation two years in a row will have a financial impact “this year and next,” officials say.
The Lions Club “is continuing to look for opportunities to fund our ongoing commitments to our community and charities that we sponsor each year, something that we as a club are very concerned about.”
The home show was held continually for 42 years up until 2020, when it was cancelled for the first time.
Activities and organizations supported by the Fergus Lions include:
- Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides;
- Diabetes Canada;
- Centre Wellington Food Bank;
- Annual Fergus Lions Toy Drive;
- Centre Wellington Road Side Cleanup;
- Centre Wellington Learning Centre;
- CNIB programs;
- Big Brothers Big Sisters;
- vision screening;
- youth camp;
- Fergus Lions Santa Claus Parade; and
- Centre Wellington High School commencement.
“As the club works to fulfill these commitments, we look for further opportunities for you to participate in with us to support these causes,” club officials state.