MINTO – A chicken barn was destroyed, but no animals were lost and no one was injured in a fire at a property on Wellington Road 6 on Oct. 22.
Firefighters from Minto, Mapleton and Wellington North responded and were able to prevent the fire from spreading to other buildings, including another chicken barn on the property.
Chief Chris Harrow, director of fire services for Minto and Wellington North, said the fire was accidental, caused by piece of machinery located in the barn.
“They were in the process of cleaning out the barn, so no livestock was lost in the fire,” said Harrow.
No damage estimate was immediately available.
About 40 firefighters responded to the call, which came in around 8:30pm. Harrow said firefighters were on the scene for about five hours.