GUELPH – The man charged in connection with a number of suspicious fires throughout Wellington County appeared in Guelph court on Jan. 9.
Justin Nicholas Johnathon Beal, of Guelph-Eramosa, has been charged with seven counts of arson.
His court appearance on Jan. 9 was brief. A discovery hearing was scheduled for March 20 to 22.
He was first charged at the end of October 2017 for six fires and again in January 2018 for a seventh fire.
From September 2016 to August 2017, Wellington County OPP and fire officials responded to numerous fires, most of which were in abandoned rural homes and buildings.
A multi-jurisdictional team consisting of police, fire officials and the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office investigated a total of 18 blazes.
Beal was charged in relation to the following fires:
– Oct. 14, 2016 house fire at 5230 Third Line, Guelph-Eramosa;
– Oct. 19, 2016 house fire at 5292 Third Line, Guelph-Eramosa;
– Dec. 5, 2016 barn fire at 7070 Fife Road in Guelph-Eramosa;
– Feb. 3, 2017 shed fire at 6873 Highway 7 Guelph-Eramosa;
– Feb. 3, 2017 house and barn fire at 5413 Township Road 3, Guelph-Eramosa;
– June 25, 2017 shed fire at 5324 Wellington Road 125, Erin; and
– June 25, 2017 house fire at 8813 Sideroad 27, Erin.