10 tenants evacuated in wake of Sunday fire

MOUNT FOREST – Charges are pending following a Sunday morning fire here which required the evacxuation of 10 tenants.

Wellington North Fire Dave Guilbault reports that on Sept. 1, at about 8:15am, Wellington North Fire Service responded to a reported structure fire at 235 Egremont St. in Mount Forest.

Guilbault stated upon arrival, firefighters found a chair on fire in Apt. 8. 

“Smoke conditions were minor and confined to the apartment. As a precaution, approximately 10 tenants were evacuated,” he said.

Both Mount Forest Fire Service and the OPP responded. 

Guilbault added there wer no injuries to firefighters or civilians. 

Damage estimate is approximately $1,000.

Guilbault stated “The fire is being treated as accidental at this time. The tenant in the apartment of fire origin was sleeping in the chair that caught fire.”

He stressed “It is illegal in Ontario for tenants to remove or tamper with a smoke and/or carbon monoxide alarm. Violations could cost the tenant or corporation a $235 ticket to $100,000 fine. 

Guilbault stated “Charges are pending against the tenant and the management company.”