PUSLINCH – The Puslinch Community Centre and Old Morriston Park will be getting some upgrades with work possibly commencing next spring.
Projects at the community centre in Aberfoyle total $1,836,765 and include:
- soccer field lighting and amenities (benches and bleachers);
- parking lot upgrades;
- light poles and fixtures for pathways, parking lot, shade structures;
- paving/hard surfacing (asphalt walkways, play precinct, picnic shelter, soccer field bleacher and bench pads);
- soft landscape (trees, shrubs, planting, sod); and
- site furnishings (backless bench, picnic tables) and built forms (play precinct, gazebo, picnic shelter).
At Old Morriston Park the washrooms will be upgraded and the lights replaced, to the tune of $204,721.
The township received some funding from the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program – $1.34 million for the community centre and $150,122 for Old Morriston Park.
At the Oct. 13 meeting, council decided to seek donations from community groups with the recreation committee acting as liaison and to cover off the balance from the parks and recreation development charges reserve fund and the cash-in-lieu of parkland fund.
Director of finance Mary Hasan said there is approximately $607,000 in the reserve, which would more than cover the outstanding balance of $450,000.
CAO Glenn Schwendinger said the plan is to do the lighting projects at the two parks first – possibly over the winter – and the other work could begin next spring.