FERGUS – The aquatic centre at the Centre Wellington Community Sportsplex reopens on Aug. 4, but there are many restrictions due to COVID-19 and public health regulations.
There will be swimming lessons, public swims, aquafit, lane swims, parent and tot swims, and leisure swims.
Lessons will be offered in either private or semi-private formats, or staff can teach a family or social bubble group.
But pre-registration and prepayment is required. There will be no more drop-in public swims.
Participants can register seven days in advance of the program they wish to attend.
“People need to register in advance so we can control the number of people in the pool,” said Pat Newson, managing director of community services, in an interview.
“Our capacity has shrunk way down.”
During the pool’s first phase of re-opening, change rooms will not be open and patrons should come dressed in bathing suits.
Masks must be worn at all times unless swimmers are in the water.
“Our aquatic centre is a vital part of family’s lives in Centre Wellington” said Mayor Kelly Linton.
“It was important to council that the health and mental well-being of our residents was acknowledged when re-opening considerations were taking place.
“How we use these amenities will be very different than before, but the safety of our community is crucial.”
Patrons should expect a different experience as staff ensure that physical distancing requirements can be maintained.
Other things to expect:
- all patrons must pre-register online for swims. Registration will not be accepted in person, those entering the facility must already be registered for a program;
- only those registered in programs can enter the aquatic centre;
- anyone entering the sportsplex must wear a mask. Face coverings can be removed just before entering the pool;
- when participants arrive at the sportsplex, they must check in with staff. Participants will be screened during the registration process, and again when they enter the facility;
- on-deck viewing is limited to a maximum of one person per family group for swimmers under 18 or anyone requiring assistance;
- change rooms are available for washroom use only (arrive dressed in bathing attire and desired cover-up); and
- sStaff will be enforcing physical distancing on deck and in the pool.
To learn more and pre-register visit www.connectcw.ca.