KENILWORTH – On July 8, Wellington North council took a moment to remember one of its lost landscapes.
The cultural moment was submitted by Wellington North Cultural Roundtable member Bonny McDougall and read aloud by Mayor Andy Lennox.
McDougall wrote “Over 100 years ago the Luther established hamlet of Mount View boasted a sawmill, a store and a Methodist Church. The location of Mount View is Concession 4 and Sideroad 13 where the only surviving evidence is the one room school converted to a residence.”
She explained Mount View received its name because of a small mountain of a natural gravel deposit. In later years it was used to supply gravel to most of the rural roads in the area.
“As a result, the “mountain” has almost disappeared,” McDougall stated.
Her writeup noted the Jones Mill was built about 1873 on the north side of Concession 4 and supplied the lumber for most of the local houses and barns powered by steam boilers supplied by the water from 4 Mile Creek.
In 1906 the Hollis Mill was built on the site of the Jones Mill. This new mill not only sawed lumber but also made shingles and chopped and rolled grain which was revolutionary to the local farmers who previously had to take their oats and wheat to Fergus to process it. Next to the mill was the general store which also served as the post office.
McDougall noted that one of the most significant landmarks at Mount View was the wooden tower that was built on the highest spot on the mountain on the farm of J.H. White.
She added “It is believed to have been built around 1880 as a survey tower. Arthur Village could be plainly viewed through a telescope which was mounted on the platform as well as Grand Valley, Fergus and Dundalk. The rickety wooden structure succumbed to too many windstorms and finally met its match in the 1940s.”